Sculpture walkway set for Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park this Summer
- Credit: Archant
Plans for a series of 30 eye-catching sculptures linking iconic east London sites are set for this summer.
The project, backed by award-winning filmmaker Danny Boyle, is led by artists Megan Piper and Clive Dutton, with support from Turner Prize winning Mark Wallinger.
The Line, a walkway of 30 sculptures, will stretch along the meridian between Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and the O2.
Megan said: “The Line will shine a light on one of the capital’s best-kept secrets.
The initiative is being backed by Danny Boyle and Jon Snow as well as the Canal and River Trust.
Mark Wallinger said that this was a great way of liberating artwork that had been out of sight for “far too long”. He said: “It is suddenly an obvious and brilliant thing to do.”
Danny Boyle, who also directed the Olympic Games opening ceremony said: “What’s extraordinary about sculpture, is that our lives are massively dominated by screens – cinema screens, television screens, computer screens. Sculpture is a reason to lift your head.”
- 1 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 2 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 3 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Wellens wants fans 'out in force' as Leyton Orient host Mansfield
- 6 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 7 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 8 Polio: Symptoms, vaccines and what you need to know
- 9 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 10 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
The plans are expected to be implemented in July subject to funding from the public.
Artists are being invited to submit proposals.
Tim Eastop, from the Canal and River Trust, said: “Your borough is particular interest to us as the River Lea has such a rich history.”
For more information visit facebook.com/thelinelondon.