Scientists launch study in east London to assess impact of asthma on school children
Researchers looking at the impact of asthma on school children have begun recruiting schools to take part in their study.
The condition affects one in 11 children and young people in the UK. On average, this is two children in every classroom.
Now scientists in east London have launched a new study to measure the impact asthma has on school children, with the aim of improving school life for those with asthma.
The study, led by Queen Mary University of London, will look at how well young people (aged 12-18 years old) manage their asthma, and the impact this has on attendance, attainment and overall wellbeing at school. It is designed to increase understanding of how much difference asthma makes to school life. This will then lay the foundations for a follow-up study looking at developing a school-based ‘intervention’, with the aim of actively improving the lives of school children with the condition..
The researchers plan to work with over 60 schools in North and East London and are currently recruiting schools and young people to take part.
Jonathan Grigg, leading the study at Queen Mary University of London, said: “Many people today underestimate the seriousness or impact of having asthma and also may not realise that symptoms can be improved dramatically depending on how treatment is managed. School is a central part of children’s lives and it can suffer or thrive depending on circumstances. We know asthma can have a negative impact on wellbeing at school, therefore it’s vital we increase our knowledge of how we can actively improve the lives of children with asthma.”
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure