Santa abseiling down Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower in east London
Father Christmas is abseiling down Erno Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower block of flats in London’s East End.
He won’t be carrying his usual sack of toys, however—that stays locked away in his sleigh parked nearby.
But Santa is taking the 27-storey plunge today (Weds) in aid of three charities in east London.
Santa—otherwise known as Kevin Wright who is a director of Poplar Harca housing organisation which manages Balfron Tower—is making his leap of faith from the rooftop dressed as Father Christmas to raise money for St Joseph’s Hospice, Care for Causalities and Pollyanna’s Theatre School.
A winter wonderland of festivities including husky rides, Santa’s grotto, stalls, music, dancing and children’s games is being laid on from 4pm to 7pm outside Balfron Tower in St Leonards Road, Poplar, next to the A12 Blackwall Tunnel approach, to welcome Father Christmas making his historic abseil.
You may also want to watch:
It’s the first time anyone has abseiled down the famous 1960s tower block—let alone Santa.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow