Safe havens launched across Newham in fight against violent crime
Over 150 young people and parents were joined by East Ham MP Stephen Timms to launch a safe haven intiative across Newham.
On Saturday June 9, teams of people from The East London Communities Organisaton (TELCO) launched London Citizens’ CitySafe Zones in the borough, speaking to local businesses and organisations to persuade them to take part.
They were asked to offer their premises as safe havens for young people fearing violent crime, pledge to report 100 per cent of crime and organise events to encourage dialogue between the police and young people led by CitySafe Champions.
Westfield Stratford City agreed to be a CitySafe Zone in September 2011 and four more areas have joined since; Church Street in Manor Park; Woodgrange Road, in Forest Gate; Plaistow Broadway; and the Stratford Centre.
Speaking at the launch was Tyeisha Liambola, sister of Bob Litambola who was murdered in Custom House in 2007, to whom the Newham CitySafe Zones are dedicated.
You may also want to watch:
Tyeisha thanked the teams taking part in the initiative and paid tribute to other families who have lost loved ones to violent crime.
Specifically aimed at young people, the intiative is an integral part of the 100 Days of Peace project, an idea pioneered by London Citizens to revive the Olympic Truce which originally sought peace for 50 days either side of the Games to allow athletes to travel safely.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
When the Truce ends on October 29, London Citizens will publish an updated map of CitySafe Zones across London.