Safe havens launched across Newham in fight against violent crime
Over 150 young people and parents were joined by East Ham MP Stephen Timms to launch a safe haven intiative across Newham.
On Saturday June 9, teams of people from The East London Communities Organisaton (TELCO) launched London Citizens’ CitySafe Zones in the borough, speaking to local businesses and organisations to persuade them to take part.
They were asked to offer their premises as safe havens for young people fearing violent crime, pledge to report 100 per cent of crime and organise events to encourage dialogue between the police and young people led by CitySafe Champions.
Westfield Stratford City agreed to be a CitySafe Zone in September 2011 and four more areas have joined since; Church Street in Manor Park; Woodgrange Road, in Forest Gate; Plaistow Broadway; and the Stratford Centre.
Speaking at the launch was Tyeisha Liambola, sister of Bob Litambola who was murdered in Custom House in 2007, to whom the Newham CitySafe Zones are dedicated.
You may also want to watch:
Tyeisha thanked the teams taking part in the initiative and paid tribute to other families who have lost loved ones to violent crime.
Specifically aimed at young people, the intiative is an integral part of the 100 Days of Peace project, an idea pioneered by London Citizens to revive the Olympic Truce which originally sought peace for 50 days either side of the Games to allow athletes to travel safely.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 7 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 8 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
When the Truce ends on October 29, London Citizens will publish an updated map of CitySafe Zones across London.