Sad farewell to Plaistow publican
Former publican Lily Lewis, whose three musical daughters went on the enjoy pop success, has died aged 72.
East End-born, she lived a very active life and was a huge part of the community and was a widely admired for her charity work, including her help with the Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton.
After many years working as a ‘clippy’ on the local 262 route and ticket seller at Plaistow station, she became a publican and was a popular landlady at the pub on Barking Road, where she was known for singing some old favourites with house band.
She also had many famous guest singers on stage, including Rod Stewart and Steve Harley. She also ran the Lord Raglan pub in High Street, Plaistow.
Lily had six children, three sons and three daughters of which the eldest Linda Lewis, is the 70’s songstress, whose hits include Rock-a-doodle-doo and It’s In His Kiss.
You may also want to watch:
Daughters Shirley and Dee are singers.
Shirley, who is married to Luke Goss, of Bros fame, sings backing vocals with George Michael and Dee has backed singers such as Jamiroqai.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Gallions Reach chef to be judged by Michel Roux Jr as finalist for prestigious title
- 8 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
Lily also had ten grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Her funeral will be on Monday at City of London Cemetery and Crematorium, Manor Park.