Sad death of brave East Ham councillor Pat Sheekey
Newham Council sadly announced the death of former councillor Pat Sheekey at the age of 71 following a brave battle against illness.
Pat was first elected in May 2002 and represented East Ham North ward until May 2010. Mayor Sir Robin Wales appointed her as deputy executive member for environment in July 2008 and she was community lead councillor for Manor Park forum area from October 2008.
During her time as a councillor Pat served on numerous committees, including the Development Control Committee and several Scrutiny Commissions. She was also Deputy Chair of the Public Transport Liaison Group, a forum to discuss issues with service providers.
Pat represented Newham Council on the Association of London Government’s (now known as London Councils) Transport and Environment Committee, the East London Waste Authority, London Canals Committee and the Newham Music Trust. She was a governor for Kensington Primary School and Manor Primary School.
Her funeral will take place on Thursday March 8. There will be a mass at the Our Lady of Compassion church in Green Street, next to West Ham United football ground, at midday followed by cremation at the City of London Crematorium at 1.15pm.
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Pat’s family and friends at this time of sadness.
“Pat was a decent, honest councillor whose hard work on behalf of the people of Newham will not be forgotten. Her dedication and devotion to the residents of Manor Park in particular, continued after her time on the council and the area has lost one of its true community champions.”
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network