Sad death of brave East Ham councillor Pat Sheekey
Newham Council sadly announced the death of former councillor Pat Sheekey at the age of 71 following a brave battle against illness.
Pat was first elected in May 2002 and represented East Ham North ward until May 2010. Mayor Sir Robin Wales appointed her as deputy executive member for environment in July 2008 and she was community lead councillor for Manor Park forum area from October 2008.
During her time as a councillor Pat served on numerous committees, including the Development Control Committee and several Scrutiny Commissions. She was also Deputy Chair of the Public Transport Liaison Group, a forum to discuss issues with service providers.
Pat represented Newham Council on the Association of London Government’s (now known as London Councils) Transport and Environment Committee, the East London Waste Authority, London Canals Committee and the Newham Music Trust. She was a governor for Kensington Primary School and Manor Primary School.
Her funeral will take place on Thursday March 8. There will be a mass at the Our Lady of Compassion church in Green Street, next to West Ham United football ground, at midday followed by cremation at the City of London Crematorium at 1.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Pat’s family and friends at this time of sadness.
“Pat was a decent, honest councillor whose hard work on behalf of the people of Newham will not be forgotten. Her dedication and devotion to the residents of Manor Park in particular, continued after her time on the council and the area has lost one of its true community champions.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation