Sad death of brave East Ham councillor Pat Sheekey
Newham Council sadly announced the death of former councillor Pat Sheekey at the age of 71 following a brave battle against illness.
Pat was first elected in May 2002 and represented East Ham North ward until May 2010. Mayor Sir Robin Wales appointed her as deputy executive member for environment in July 2008 and she was community lead councillor for Manor Park forum area from October 2008.
During her time as a councillor Pat served on numerous committees, including the Development Control Committee and several Scrutiny Commissions. She was also Deputy Chair of the Public Transport Liaison Group, a forum to discuss issues with service providers.
Pat represented Newham Council on the Association of London Government’s (now known as London Councils) Transport and Environment Committee, the East London Waste Authority, London Canals Committee and the Newham Music Trust. She was a governor for Kensington Primary School and Manor Primary School.
Her funeral will take place on Thursday March 8. There will be a mass at the Our Lady of Compassion church in Green Street, next to West Ham United football ground, at midday followed by cremation at the City of London Crematorium at 1.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Pat’s family and friends at this time of sadness.
“Pat was a decent, honest councillor whose hard work on behalf of the people of Newham will not be forgotten. Her dedication and devotion to the residents of Manor Park in particular, continued after her time on the council and the area has lost one of its true community champions.”
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas