Run for your wife! Proposal at Great Newham London Run
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Crossing the finishing line in the Olympic Stadium was an emotional experience for many runners.
For Katie Perry, it was a moment never to be forgotten as her boyfriend of 18 months, Matt Simpson, got down on one knee on the track to present her with a sparkling engagement ring.
A shocked Katie, 31, accepted the proposal and celebrated the moment with a hug and a kiss.
PE teacher Matt, 29, said that he kept the ring in his sunglasses case throughout the run.
“I pretty much checked it was still there every few steps,” he said.
“I was petrified about losing it on the run but it was quite secure really.”
The romantic gesture came after the pair, from Cranleigh, Surrey, completed the 10k run around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park together.
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 4 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 5 Leyton Orient 'got away with one' at Crawley says Wellens
- 6 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 7 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 8 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 9 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 10 Leyton Orient claim second successive League Two win at Crawley
Starting in the same wave, Matt and Katie finished in within 10 seconds of each other, both making it round in about one hour and 17mins.
Speaking about why he chose to propose at the run, Matt said: “Katie is massively into her running, she completed 100 races in 2013, so at the end of a run seemed perfect for her and to do it at the Olympic Stadium seemed pretty special.
“She seemed genuinely shocked and definitely didn’t expect it so it went very well.”
He added that the couple’s families were in the stadium to share their special moment.