Run for your wife! Proposal at Great Newham London Run
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Crossing the finishing line in the Olympic Stadium was an emotional experience for many runners.
For Katie Perry, it was a moment never to be forgotten as her boyfriend of 18 months, Matt Simpson, got down on one knee on the track to present her with a sparkling engagement ring.
A shocked Katie, 31, accepted the proposal and celebrated the moment with a hug and a kiss.
PE teacher Matt, 29, said that he kept the ring in his sunglasses case throughout the run.
“I pretty much checked it was still there every few steps,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I was petrified about losing it on the run but it was quite secure really.”
The romantic gesture came after the pair, from Cranleigh, Surrey, completed the 10k run around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park together.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
Starting in the same wave, Matt and Katie finished in within 10 seconds of each other, both making it round in about one hour and 17mins.
Speaking about why he chose to propose at the run, Matt said: “Katie is massively into her running, she completed 100 races in 2013, so at the end of a run seemed perfect for her and to do it at the Olympic Stadium seemed pretty special.
“She seemed genuinely shocked and definitely didn’t expect it so it went very well.”
He added that the couple’s families were in the stadium to share their special moment.