Royal visit to Plaistow dance business
Prince Andrew visited Newham to talk to award winning entrepreneur Jessica Elliott about her business.
Jessica, 24, runs ‘J’s Dance Factory’ which has classes at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow, and won office space rent free for a year as part of a prize package after winning the London Metropolitan university business plan competition in 2009.
The Duke of York was impressed by the fast growth of the company and discussed the importance of support for young entrepreneurs in the UK. The purpose of the visit was to talk to business owners and discover the role student enterprise societies in universities and schools can play in the success of running businesses.
When asked if he liked to dance Prince Andrew told her that dance lessons had been arranged for him as a child but he often hid behind the sofa. The Prince’s visit came in the same week in which Jessica was invited to join the prestigious Courvoisier future 500 club, which is an exclusive network of the most up and coming 500 business people and creative artists in the UK.
Jessica also launched Teachdance to help dancers who want to become qualified instructors with the International Dance Teachers Association (IDTA). It runs in conjunction with dance instructors agency ‘ Dancing After School’ where she assists instructors find work in schools and other youth organisations across London and the South East.
You may also want to watch:
Jessica said: “It is great to have built J’s Dance Factory to a stage where I am able to assist others in achieving their dreams of setting up their own dance business or becoming self employed.”
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 7 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 8 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 9 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 10 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result