Royal visit to Plaistow dance business
Prince Andrew visited Newham to talk to award winning entrepreneur Jessica Elliott about her business.
Jessica, 24, runs ‘J’s Dance Factory’ which has classes at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow, and won office space rent free for a year as part of a prize package after winning the London Metropolitan university business plan competition in 2009.
The Duke of York was impressed by the fast growth of the company and discussed the importance of support for young entrepreneurs in the UK. The purpose of the visit was to talk to business owners and discover the role student enterprise societies in universities and schools can play in the success of running businesses.
When asked if he liked to dance Prince Andrew told her that dance lessons had been arranged for him as a child but he often hid behind the sofa. The Prince’s visit came in the same week in which Jessica was invited to join the prestigious Courvoisier future 500 club, which is an exclusive network of the most up and coming 500 business people and creative artists in the UK.
Jessica also launched Teachdance to help dancers who want to become qualified instructors with the International Dance Teachers Association (IDTA). It runs in conjunction with dance instructors agency ‘ Dancing After School’ where she assists instructors find work in schools and other youth organisations across London and the South East.
You may also want to watch:
Jessica said: “It is great to have built J’s Dance Factory to a stage where I am able to assist others in achieving their dreams of setting up their own dance business or becoming self employed.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k