Royal Marine from Plaistow battles extreme weather at Arctic Circle
- Credit: Royal Navy
A Royal Marine has survived minus 30 degrees Celsius, sleeping in a brushwood shelter and hunting for game at the Arctic Circle.
Anthony Graham, aged 24, from Plaistow was deployed for his first extreme winter training at Asegarden in Norway for the past three months, as part of an annual cold weather exercise.
Marines learn how to move, survive and fight in the harsh winter environment to test the men and their equipment to the maximum during the Exercise called Cetus 13.
Marines march for miles on snowshoes while carrying up to 30kg of kit, climb out of rapidly freezing waters safely, and are expected to be alert enough to fight at their final destination.
Around 135 Royal Marines working alongside The Royal Netherland Marine Corps and The Norwegian Army.
You may also want to watch:
Anthony, a former pupil of Brampton Manor School, said: “The thing I will remember most is marching across the top of a mountain in temperatures below freezing with snow smashing against the side of my face.”
The Royal Navy’s Commando Helicopter Force have also been exercising in the area – training their pilots to fly and land safely in snow and ice.
- 1 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 8 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 9 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
Anthony became a Royal Marine Commando in 2008 after completing the gruelling 32-week basic training course.