Royal Docks festival attracts thousands for water-based fun
- Credit: Archant
More than 17,000 people enjoyed a day of watery fun on Saturday as this year’s Waterfront Festival once again proved a hit with residents.
Activities on and around the water at Canning Town’s Royal Victoria Dock combined with a spectacular fireworks finale and a headline performance from band Flash - A Tribute to Queen, were among the highlights.
The day’s activities, which were organised by Newham Council, included sailing, rowing, wakeboarding, paddleboarding, bellboats, aquaballs, jet pack demonstrations and rides on the pleasure boat the Silver Queen, which ferried troops from Dunkirk and was part of the 2012 Diamond Jubilee Thames pageant.
Strolling buccaneers headed a variety of nautical themed children’s entertainment on the beach including treasure map making, pirates, toy boats, learning to dance jigs, story-telling and dressing up. For grown ups there were guided walks around the historic docks with writer Kathy Chater. People also queued to have pictures taken with 2012 Olympic and Paralympic torches.
The landmark Siemens Crystal building opened its doors and its sustainability exhibition, display of art and tasty seaside inspired food treats proved popular. The Emirates Air Line cable car connecting the Royal Docks and Greenwich Peninsula gave an aerial view of proceedings.
You may also want to watch:
As well as Flash – A Tribute to Queen on the main stage there were performances from the Bikini Beach Band, Trevor Francis, who has appeared on BBC’s The Voice, Jasmine Elcock, the winner of the council’s community forum Time to Shine talent contest, and an orchestra from Newham’s Every Child a Musician scheme.
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “The Royal Docks are Newham’s hidden gem and have undergone a tremendous transformation over the past few years and it is good that people are seeing the resurgence for themselves.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
“This was a fantastic day for residents to try different activities on and around the historic Royal Docks. It has showcased what a fantastic and versatile place Newham is.”