Royal Docks airport supports Newham London Youth Games team
London City Airport has formed a partnership with the Newham London Youth Games Team for the 2012 competition.
Young people from across all 33 London boroughs compete against each other in the London Youth Games in a range of different sports from athletics to hockey.
The Games are Europe’s largest annual youth sporting event and act as a stepping stone for future Olympic athletes and inspire young people to get involved in sport.
The Newham Team received a �1,500 donation from the airport towards the cost of sport equipment to be able to compete in events. The airport’s Community Team recently attended the London Youth Games rowing competition held at the London Regatta Centre opposite the airport to support the Newham team, who came 9th in the competition overall.
Lisa Brivati, Newham Team’s Manager, said: “We are delighted that LCY have chosen to sponsor Newham’s London Youth Games Team in 2012. The sponsorship will help to develop the team this year as well as help to develop sports in the future.
You may also want to watch:
“Newham aims to get as many young people participating in London Youth Games events throughout the year as possible and help them develop in their chosen sport. This is a great time with the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games nearly upon us to engage with as many young people as possible and make them feel proud to represent their borough.”
The sponsorship forms part of the airport’s health and wellbeing programme aimed at encouraging its neighbours to engage in healthy activities.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow