Mayor 'seeking a guarantee' over hotel quarantine in Newham
- Credit: Ken Mears
Newham’s Mayor is seeking assurances about Covid quarantine hotels after it was confirmed travellers flying from high-risk countries can land in the borough.
London City Airport (LCA) in the Royal Docks is one of five airports where people travelling from "red list" countries - who are required to quarantine for 10 days in a designated hotel when they arrive - are allowed to enter England.
According to LCA, there have been no arrivals from red list countries since the mandatory quarantine rules came into effect on Monday, February 15 and "very few" are anticipated.
Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz said she is "seeking a guarantee from the government" that people in Newham are "not at risk from any failure to organise quarantine properly."
“I will continue to push the government hard to make sure they have the right plans in place to ensure that those arriving through LCA and into a quarantine hotel will not come into contact with residents until they are known to be virus-free," Ms Fiaz said.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Fiaz added she wanted to know staff at the airport and hotel, many of whom live in the borough, would be given the best available personal protection equipment (PPE), including face coverings and clothing.
A spokesperson for LCA said when passengers arrive, they follow signage that separates red list country arrivals from those who've come from the rest of the world.
- 1 Jailed: Drug dealer who crashed into cab leaving passengers critically injured
- 2 'Severe maladministration' by Newham Council in housing complaint handling
- 3 Man in hospital after fire at disused Forest Gate church
- 4 Detectives release images after robbery in East Ham
- 5 Jailed: Manor Park man guilty of drug offences, but not machete murder
- 6 £3m centre to reduce young adult reoffending to be set up in Stratford
- 7 Blades, £25k and Class A drugs seized by police after car stop in Plaistow
- 8 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff 'disappointed' to lose defender Adam Thompson
- 9 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff feels he knows already what makes the squad tick
There is a separate Border Force desk for red list arrivals.
"We are working in close collaboration with Border Force to ensure this is reinforced and all staff are equipped with the necessary PPE in line with our standard operating procedures," the spokesperson said.