Rokeby school wins cooking competition
- Credit: Archant
Rokeby Boys won the ‘Cook Off’ at the Mayors Newham Show.
Students, Eman Nadeem and DiegoDos Santos Oliveira from Canning Town’s Rokeby School recently won prizes for their entire class after competing against other local schools in the cooking challenge held in East Ham Leisure Centre.
Sir Robin Wales the Mayor of Newham was there to hand out prizes, which included tickets to Forman’s Salmon Smokehouse and Active Newham for the winning team.
Teaching assistant, Ina Joshua who accompanied the champions to the event said: “the boys displayed excellent teamwork with Diego doing most of the preparation work and Eman doing the cooking.
“They had to explain to the judges about the presentation of their dishes and said how they decided together how they wanted their food to look”.
Judged by members from Food Academy and Young Farmers Essex the Rokeby students won after they cooked a vegetable fajita in the final.
Teams from Lister, Brampton Manor, Gallions Reach and Royal Docks all took part in the competition organised by Food Academy UK whose aim is to make communities stronger by providing fun cooking classes, teambuilding cooking exercises for businesses and cooking events.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 3 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 7 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
Schools have also been invited to participate in the national Future Chef competition.