Ride and Stride in east London for church heritage
Hundreds of cyclists and walkers are expected to take to the roads of Essex and East London to raise funds for church heritage.
They will be taking part in the annual Ride and Stride on September 8 and will choose their own routes as they earn sponsorship for visiting beautiful and historic churches and chapels.
Half the money raised will go to the rider’s or strider’s home church. The other half will go to the Trust and will be distributed in grants to fund repairs and restoration.
The annual Ride & Stride is organised by the Friends of Essex Churches Trust which contributes to the cost of repairing and restoring churches and chapels of all Christian denominations in the county of Essex, the unitary authorities of Southend and Thurrock and the London Boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest.
For more information - including suggested routes and a list of local churches that will be open on September 8 - visit www.foect.org.uk where a sponsorship form can be downloaded.
You may also want to watch:
Dr James Bettley, Chairman of the Friends of Essex Churches Trust, believes the Ride and Stride is unmissable. He said: “This annual fund raising event is always popular and it is important to our church heritage. The Friends of Essex Churches Trust appreciates the commitment of all our supporters. Their efforts will help to keep the churches of Essex and East London in good shape.”
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber