Ride and Stride in east London for church heritage
Hundreds of cyclists and walkers are expected to take to the roads of Essex and East London to raise funds for church heritage.
They will be taking part in the annual Ride and Stride on September 8 and will choose their own routes as they earn sponsorship for visiting beautiful and historic churches and chapels.
Half the money raised will go to the rider’s or strider’s home church. The other half will go to the Trust and will be distributed in grants to fund repairs and restoration.
The annual Ride & Stride is organised by the Friends of Essex Churches Trust which contributes to the cost of repairing and restoring churches and chapels of all Christian denominations in the county of Essex, the unitary authorities of Southend and Thurrock and the London Boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest.
For more information - including suggested routes and a list of local churches that will be open on September 8 - visit www.foect.org.uk where a sponsorship form can be downloaded.
You may also want to watch:
Dr James Bettley, Chairman of the Friends of Essex Churches Trust, believes the Ride and Stride is unmissable. He said: “This annual fund raising event is always popular and it is important to our church heritage. The Friends of Essex Churches Trust appreciates the commitment of all our supporters. Their efforts will help to keep the churches of Essex and East London in good shape.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 6 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project