Residents urged to join in Beckton clean up
Eco-friendly residents keen to do their bit for the environment are being urged to join in with a major clean up along the Beckton Corridor on Saturday.
This is a well known footpath stretching from Beckton DLR station up to Beckton Park. Although it offers a quiet route away from busy traffic, it does suffer with litter.
In May 2012, CleanupUK organised a big cleanup in which 52 people spent two hours clearing up and filled 79 bags.
They also removed two mattresses, kitchen cupboards, a desk chair, a traffic cone anad twotrolleys. Three local councillors also supported the event.
A spokeswoman for CleanupUK said although at first, people were dubious as to how much litter could be collected, the result was fantastic,. She said people worked really hard and there were plenty of side alleys and rubbish found at the back of the shrubberies to be collected and taken away.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s clean up is being run by CleanupUK’s Beautiful Boroughs project which works with residents across Newham to encourage them to look after their neighbourhood.
CleanupUK are working in partnership with the Community Links Neighbourhood Links project. This is a project that links neighbours together. It is planned that a group can be established which will meet up regularly to keep the Beckton Corridor cleaner and greener.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 6 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 10 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
Residents are invited to join in on Saturday’s clean up which will run from 1pm to 3pm. There will be hot soup, rolls and tea and coffee for all the volunteers.
To find out more, email email@example.com.