Residents in Newham celebrate Bangladesh Independence Day
- Credit: Archant
Residents across the borough came together yesterday to celebrate Bangladesh Independence Day.
A service was held at East Ham Town Hall where residents raised the flag of Bangladesh and sang the country’s national anthem.
Councillors including Rohima Rahman and Obaid Khan also attended the event.
Community activist, Sarwar E Alam said: “It was a great day, Residents across Newham have paid their rich tributes to millions of martyrs who had sacrificed their lives in the Liberation war 44 years ago.”
It was observed by raising flag of Bangladesh whilst participants sang the national anthem of Bangladesh.
You may also want to watch:
Newham Councillor Rohima Rahman , Councillor Obaid Khan, community organizer Tahir Mirza, Sarwar-E Alam were present among others.
Bangladesh declared independence from Pakistan on March 26 1971.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham