Refurbished East Ham leisure centre opens its doors
- Credit: Archant
Fitness fanatics will be delighted to learn that East Ham leisure centre has re-opened its doors after a major refurbishment worth £400,000.
The leisure centre, which is located on the corner of Barking Road and High Street South, was closed from December 23 until January 5 undergoing the changes.
Gym-goers can now enjoy a redesigned gym area with new weights, power plates, medicine balls, 56 new state-of-the art cardio vascular stations including new treadmills, new cross trainers and new exercise bikes and a refurbished and redecorated health suite with new sauna and showers. The improved facilities also include a revamp of all changing areas with new benches and lighting and the showers have been upgraded.
The centre is run by Active Newham, which worked in partnership with Newham Council to carry out the improvements.
Ian Mitchell, managing director of ActiveNewham, said: “ActiveNewham has a mission to improve the health and wellbeing of the residents of Newham and the exciting improvements that have been made at East Ham will help residents to make physical activity part of their everyday lives.”
You may also want to watch:
Despite seeing one of the biggest funding cuts of any local authority, Newham council has invested in the sport and activity programme, which is one of the biggest in London. Cllr Ian Corbett said: “We are spending £28m on improving the borough’s sporting facilities and on getting people involved in sport and physical activity.” He added “We want to make something available for everyone, regardless of age, ability or interest.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford