Refurbished East Ham leisure centre opens its doors
- Credit: Archant
Fitness fanatics will be delighted to learn that East Ham leisure centre has re-opened its doors after a major refurbishment worth £400,000.
The leisure centre, which is located on the corner of Barking Road and High Street South, was closed from December 23 until January 5 undergoing the changes.
Gym-goers can now enjoy a redesigned gym area with new weights, power plates, medicine balls, 56 new state-of-the art cardio vascular stations including new treadmills, new cross trainers and new exercise bikes and a refurbished and redecorated health suite with new sauna and showers. The improved facilities also include a revamp of all changing areas with new benches and lighting and the showers have been upgraded.
The centre is run by Active Newham, which worked in partnership with Newham Council to carry out the improvements.
Ian Mitchell, managing director of ActiveNewham, said: “ActiveNewham has a mission to improve the health and wellbeing of the residents of Newham and the exciting improvements that have been made at East Ham will help residents to make physical activity part of their everyday lives.”
Despite seeing one of the biggest funding cuts of any local authority, Newham council has invested in the sport and activity programme, which is one of the biggest in London. Cllr Ian Corbett said: “We are spending £28m on improving the borough’s sporting facilities and on getting people involved in sport and physical activity.” He added “We want to make something available for everyone, regardless of age, ability or interest.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack