Record organ transplants, says NHS
A record number of organ transplants were carried out in Britain in 2011/12, according to latest figures from the NHS.
NHS Blood and Transplant has announced that 3,960 transplants were carried out in the UK in 2011/12. The Organ Donation and Transplantation Activity Report 2012 shows the seventh year of growth in the number of transplants.
Sally Johnson, Director of Organ Donation and Transplantation at NHSBT, said: “Since 2007/08, our efforts have been concentrated on getting the right infrastructure in place and working with our partners in hospitals throughout the UK to change clinical practice and give more people the opportunity to donate their organs.
“Huge efforts have been made in hospitals to increase deceased organ donation and the Report for 2011/12 details the continuing, overall upward trend in organ donation and transplantation. We remain on target to meet our objective of 50 per cent growth in donation by 2013.”
The total number of people registered on the Organ Donor Register was 18,693,549 - or 30 per cent of the population - by the end of March 2012. This is an increase of nearly 950,000 people on the previous year.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Johnson said: “This report shows that things are moving in the right direction but three people on the waiting list are dying every day without receiving a transplant.
We need to carry on making people aware of the difference they can make by signing up to the Organ Donor register and discussing their wishes with their family and friends.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 9 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
The family refusal rate for organ donation in the UK is one of the highest in Europe at 45 per cent and we know a large part of that is down to people not discussing their wishes with their families.”