Racist beating of black man in Newham sparks police manhunt
- Credit: Archant
A black man was beaten unconscious in a racist assault after he asked two men in a children’s playground to keep the noise down.
The brutal attack on the man in his 50s, who suffered a fractured eye socket and was taken to hospital, has sparked a police manhunt for the two suspects.
Detectives in Newham are calling for witnesses and believe the incident was a “racially aggravated assault”. The victim was walking past the playground in Drew Road, Silvertown, at 11.20pm on Thursday when he noticed two young white men drinking and making a lot of noise.
He asked them to quieten down, as the playground is in a residential area where people were sleeping.
One of the men hurled verbal abusive at him using what police called “racial language”, and began to push him and punched him in the face.
The victim pulled out his phone and said he would call the police, when the second man joined in and assaulted him.
A woman who was passing came to the man’s aid and tried to stop the violence, but they both carried on kicking and punching him until he was unconscious.
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 West Ham will add more after Cornet signing says Moyes
- 6 Leyton Orient claim second successive League Two win at Crawley
- 7 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 8 Boys locked up for murdering 14-year-old Fares Maatou
- 9 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 10 Clapton microbakery Charles Artisan Bread opens new site in Stratford
He was taken to hospital where it was confirmed his eye socket had been fractured.
Detective Sergeant Musgrove, of Newham Borough Police, said: “This was a violent attack on a man who had simply asked the suspects to keep the noise down.
“The area where the assault took place is residential and someone may have seen or heard the suspects before they assaulted the victim, or even witnessed their assault on him.”
He added: “I would like to take this opportunity to reassure anyone worried about contacting the police that they will be treated with the utmost sensitivity.”
The suspects are described as white men, possibly eastern European, who spoke broken English.
One was about 30-years-old, 5’11 with a muscular build, short hair and a big face, wearing a tracksuit top and a T-Shirt underneath.
The other was younger and around 5’3 and also muscular with short hair, wearing jeans and a grey hoodie with a bright design on the chest.
Police are asking anyone with information to call 020 8217 5851 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.