Public can have say on Stratford Centre development proposals
The Stratford Centre has today launched a public consultation on plans for a major investment to develop it and adjacent buildings.
The proposals would extend and strengthen the Stratford Centre and replace Morgan House with a landmark building of high quality design.
Initial proposals include a new supermarket, smaller retail units and a new landmark building to include new student residences and improvements to the public realm
Owners of the Stratford Centre, Catalyst Capital, believe the development would offer even more convenient and value shopping in the heart of Stratford, jobs for local people and investment in the centre of the area, new facilities for the market traders in the Stratford Centre and new shops and a safer, more attractive environment along Great Eastern Road.
They believe the plans would strengthen and underpin the Stratford Centre’s convenience and value shopping offer for local people. It is estimated that the plans would create over 250 new jobs while protecting the 530 or so that already exist in the Centre.
You may also want to watch:
At the same time, the redevelopment of the Morgan House site would provide new high quality student accommodation and transform an underused site in the heart of Newham. The new landmark building would be the first thing that visitors arriving at Stratford Station would see when leaving the station, dramatically improving the visitor welcome and appearance of the local area.
The Stratford Centre is keen to hear the views of local people on the proposals. Local residents, business owners and other interested parties are invited to come along to one of the exhibitions to find out more. The public exhibition events will take place today from 5pm to 8pm, tomorrow from 1pm to 6pm and on Decemeber 22 from 1pm to 6pm.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
The exhibition will be held at Unit 15, The Stratford Centre (opposite Sports Direct) at the Stratford Centre in The Broadway.
Comments received will be considered ahead of a planning application being submitted to Newham Council in early 2013. Local residents and members of the public can also find out more at www.stratfordshopping.co.uk/development or emailing: email@example.com or calling 0800 881 5304