Public awareness events teach Newham residents about diabetes
- Credit: Archant
Health experts across the borough ran a series of events to make people aware of diabetes and the steps they can take to avoid developing it.
They were organised throughout the week to coincide with National Diabetes Week, June 9 to June 15.
Although most were run by NHS Newham Clinical Commissioning Group together with health professionals from East London NHS Foundation Trust, there were also others staged by Community Links at Plashet School.
Specialist nurses also held a series of eye screening awareness sessions in Manor Park and Forest Gate. Members of the public had health checks and received information on eye screening.
Community Links is working to raise awareness of diabetes by building on their successful cancer awareness and early detection schools’ project.
You may also want to watch:
Frances Clarke, from the charity, said: “We are developing projects in secondary schools which will share vital health messages that can affect the behaviour of these young people for life. Also, we are asking the students to share these messages with their parents. We found this to be a highly successful approach with cancer awareness and we are hopeful that we can once again reach a lot of people through their children.”
Dr Zuhair Zarifa, Chair of NHS Newham Clinical Commissioning Group said: “Diabetes is a serious condition. However, it can be prevented and if you do have the condition together with support from your local NHS you can manage it and lead a good life.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
“As the local leaders of the NHS in Newham we want local people to understand more about diabetes and what can be done so we are going out to different locations and talking to people to raise awareness.”