Protesters to target ‘racist’ bands at Upton Park pub
- Credit: Archant
Anti-racism activists are set to protest outside the Boleyn pub tomorrow during a live music event they say features ‘white power’ bands.
A number of bands will be playing at the Boleyn Tavern pub on Barking Road - a matchday favourite with West Ham fans - from 3pm to around 10pm as part of a gig called ‘Monsters of Oi’.
But campaign group Love Music Hate Racism (LMHR) say the line-up includes bands who support racist ideologies and political groups such as the British National Party and the National Front so they plan to picket the event from 8pm.
Boleyn pub staff confirmed they have dropped one band from the event, IC1, following a number of phone calls over the last two days.
One staff member, who preferred not to be named, said: “We are just the venue. We are not in charge of the event.
You may also want to watch:
“Our manager has been in touch with the promotions manager and the band have been withdrawn from the line-up.”
A spokesperson for LMHR said: “There’s a whole line-up that’s dedicated to these people and that clientele who support these sorts of bands.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 8 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
“As far as we’re concerned, withdrawing one band is not enough.”
The Freedom Press, an anarchist bookshop based in Whitechapel, also posted a link via their Twitter account to an Anti-Fascist Network blog calling activists to protest outside the ‘Monsters of Oi’ gig.