Protesters to target ‘racist’ bands at Upton Park pub
- Credit: Archant
Anti-racism activists are set to protest outside the Boleyn pub tomorrow during a live music event they say features ‘white power’ bands.
A number of bands will be playing at the Boleyn Tavern pub on Barking Road - a matchday favourite with West Ham fans - from 3pm to around 10pm as part of a gig called ‘Monsters of Oi’.
But campaign group Love Music Hate Racism (LMHR) say the line-up includes bands who support racist ideologies and political groups such as the British National Party and the National Front so they plan to picket the event from 8pm.
Boleyn pub staff confirmed they have dropped one band from the event, IC1, following a number of phone calls over the last two days.
One staff member, who preferred not to be named, said: “We are just the venue. We are not in charge of the event.
“Our manager has been in touch with the promotions manager and the band have been withdrawn from the line-up.”
A spokesperson for LMHR said: “There’s a whole line-up that’s dedicated to these people and that clientele who support these sorts of bands.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
“As far as we’re concerned, withdrawing one band is not enough.”
The Freedom Press, an anarchist bookshop based in Whitechapel, also posted a link via their Twitter account to an Anti-Fascist Network blog calling activists to protest outside the ‘Monsters of Oi’ gig.