Proposals for future housing in Plaistow revealed
Five development proposals for a new housing site in Plaistow are on display in central London.
The four acre ‘island site’ is surrounded by Samson Street, Southern Road, Nile Road, and Credon Road and is outlined to house approximately 150 new homes.
Peabody, one of London’s oldest housing association, are celebrating their 150th year by launching a competition to search for an architect to work on the development.
Five finalists have been chosen and their proposals are currently on display to the viewing public at New London Architecture near Goodge Street, along with 14 others that were also intially selected.
While drawing up their proopals for am “exemplar” housing site, designers were asked to consider how Londoners’ way of life has changed in 150 years, how communities have changed and what challenges Londoners face in this new century that they did not face in the 1860s.
You may also want to watch:
Proposals had to address these new priorities and issues in the setting of an east London suburb.
The winner of the competition will be commissioned to develop a design into a full planning application, to include a mix of affordable and market homes, to submit to Newham Council for approval.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
A senior judging panel, including Councillor Conor McAuley, Executive Member for Regeneration and Strategic Development in Newham, has been involved in a selection process and the winner will be announced at a special reception on May 17.