Proposals for future housing in Plaistow revealed
Five development proposals for a new housing site in Plaistow are on display in central London.
The four acre ‘island site’ is surrounded by Samson Street, Southern Road, Nile Road, and Credon Road and is outlined to house approximately 150 new homes.
Peabody, one of London’s oldest housing association, are celebrating their 150th year by launching a competition to search for an architect to work on the development.
Five finalists have been chosen and their proposals are currently on display to the viewing public at New London Architecture near Goodge Street, along with 14 others that were also intially selected.
While drawing up their proopals for am “exemplar” housing site, designers were asked to consider how Londoners’ way of life has changed in 150 years, how communities have changed and what challenges Londoners face in this new century that they did not face in the 1860s.
Proposals had to address these new priorities and issues in the setting of an east London suburb.
The winner of the competition will be commissioned to develop a design into a full planning application, to include a mix of affordable and market homes, to submit to Newham Council for approval.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 4 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 7 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 8 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 9 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
A senior judging panel, including Councillor Conor McAuley, Executive Member for Regeneration and Strategic Development in Newham, has been involved in a selection process and the winner will be announced at a special reception on May 17.