Princess Diana Award presented to East Ham health campaigners
- Credit: Archant
Young women campaigners picked up Princess Diana awards yesterday for their commitment to raising awareness about breast cancer.
Five girls represented around 80 students from Plashet School who took part in Community Links’ Young Lifesavers project that works with young girls and their mothers to help them recognise the symptoms of the disease.
It also increases confidence in women to express their concerns to doctors and emphasises the importance of attending mammogram appointments.
The students travelled to Barclays Headquarters in Canary Wharf on Wednesday to receive their Active Campaigner certificates for the Princess Diana Awards, set up in her memory to praise charitable work.
Hadia Abid, a Young Lifesaver, said: “We organised fun events and activities that would inform young girls like me and their mums about what breast cancer is and how it can be detected early.”
You may also want to watch:
Safia Siddique, another campaigner, said: “Receiving the Diana Award was an amazing experience and opportunity.
“It’s made me realise that I do make a difference, be it big or small – it’s a difference that matters.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
To find about more about breast cancer, visit www.smallc.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the campaign.