Prince’s Trust participants enjoy West Ham bootcamp
- Credit: Archant
Young people on a programme run by The Prince’s Trust were joined by Education Minister Elizabeth Truss to celebrate their achievements.
Participants in the Trust’s xl programme enjoyed a series of military themed challenges at the West Ham Army Reserve Centre.
The sessions were run by Commando Joe’s, an organisation which is run by ex-servicemen to boost confidence and encourage teamwork and leadership skills.
Education Minister Elizabeth Truss said: “Leadership, confidence and self-discipline are three values inherent in the Armed Services – and three of the most important skills young people need to get the most out of school, especially those who are disengaged from education.
“I am delighted to celebrate the successes of these innovative and dedicated military ethos schemes, which instil these values and are turning around the lives of thousands of young people.”
You may also want to watch:
The Prince’s Trust works with the Department of Education and involves former military personnel in its youth programmes as part of a wider government policy to use their skills to help those struggling at school.
The xl programme supports young people aged 13 to 19 who are at risk of underachievement or exclusion from school, focusing on personal development and re-engaging with education.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley