Potentially dangerous skin creams seized in Canning Town
These are some of 330 tubs of potentially dangerous skin lightening creams which have just been seized from a shop in Canning Town by Newham Trading Standards.
The huge haul from a shop that cannot yet be named for legal reasons comes as part of a renewed crackdown on the creams by the team.
The creams are dangerous because they contain high levels of cancer-causing Hydroquione which is a known carcinogenic substance and banned in Europe.
Trading Standards officers are redoubling their efforts after 2,500 of the cancer causing cosmetics were seized in Canning Town area and neighbouring borough earlier this year (February) in a joint operation.
They are targeting the skin lightening creams with labels marked hydroquione which they believe is being imported from Ghana. It is particularly popular among ethnic communities and often used for skin lightening.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Unmesh Desai, Newham Council’s Executive Member for Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour, said: “Parents and young people must be very vigilant for these creams. Newham is taking the lead in London by cracking down hard as we believe it is circulating across the capital. Anyone who comes across it should contact their local council’s trading standards office immediately.”
Go through Consumer Direct on 01622 626520/ 01622 626523 and ask for Newham Trading Standards.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah