Potentially dangerous skin creams seized in Canning Town
These are some of 330 tubs of potentially dangerous skin lightening creams which have just been seized from a shop in Canning Town by Newham Trading Standards.
The huge haul from a shop that cannot yet be named for legal reasons comes as part of a renewed crackdown on the creams by the team.
The creams are dangerous because they contain high levels of cancer-causing Hydroquione which is a known carcinogenic substance and banned in Europe.
Trading Standards officers are redoubling their efforts after 2,500 of the cancer causing cosmetics were seized in Canning Town area and neighbouring borough earlier this year (February) in a joint operation.
They are targeting the skin lightening creams with labels marked hydroquione which they believe is being imported from Ghana. It is particularly popular among ethnic communities and often used for skin lightening.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Unmesh Desai, Newham Council’s Executive Member for Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour, said: “Parents and young people must be very vigilant for these creams. Newham is taking the lead in London by cracking down hard as we believe it is circulating across the capital. Anyone who comes across it should contact their local council’s trading standards office immediately.”
Go through Consumer Direct on 01622 626520/ 01622 626523 and ask for Newham Trading Standards.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim