Poll: East Ham bingo hall to close after 40 years
- Credit: Archant
Decades on from its inception as a renowned music venue, the curtains are set to close on an iconic East Ham building.
Gala Bingo in Barking Road has called out numbers since 1991, but the site has now been sold off with eyes down for the last time on November 13.
The venue opened as the Granada Theatre in 1936, and it was converted into a Granada Bingo Club 40 years on before Gala took ownership of it
A spokesman for Gala said: “We do not take these decisions lightly. Customers will be able to use our nearby centres at Stratford and Dagenham.”
She could not confirm the new use of the venue at this stage for commercial reasons, but the Recorder understands that it is set to become a banqueting hall for weddings.
You may also want to watch:
Throughout the 1960s and 70s, top music acts including the Beatles, Cliff Richard and the Shadows and the Rolling Stones performed packed-out shows.
Comics including Bob Monkhouse and Morecambe and Wise also performed there during the theatre’s heyday.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
Will you be sad to see the bingo hall close? Vote in our online poll