Police seek witnesses after East Ham man’s gay sauna death
Police investigating the death of an East Ham man discovered in a “gay bathhouse” have issued a fresh appeal for information.
The victim was named yesterday as Roberto Messuti, 46. He was found at Chariots Roman Spa in Fairchild Street at about 7.20am on July 11.
The Metropolitan Police said his death is being treated as unexplained at this stage. His next of kin has been informed.
Neighbours said Mr Messuti left his flat in Clements Road about one month ago to move to a bed-and-breakfast in Redbridge. Some of his belongings were left in a pile outside the property.
Mr Messuti was born in Venezuela and moved to Newham in 1992. He was a member of the Kabbalah Centre in London, a sect which counts Madonna as a follower.
In an online profile on a social networking site, he posted that he had “achieved Reiki 1st and 2nd degrees” during his studies and had now set up a business in holistic therapy.
Mr Messuti listed his interests as yoga, meditation and spirituality.
- 1 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 2 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 3 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 4 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 7 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 8 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 9 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
A post-mortem examination was opened last Thursday and police are waiting on results of toxicology tests.
Police want to speak to anybody who was in Chariots Roman Spa between the evening of July 10 and the morning of July 11. Those with information should contact 020 8721 7760 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.