Police officers praised for docks rescue of woman in Silvertown
Two police officers have been praised for saving a woman from the Royal Victoria Dock less than a month after a colleague carried out a similar rescue.
Newham borough commander, Chief Superintendent Simon Letchford, said:“The selfless bravery of the officers, combined with their calm actions, prevented what could easily have turned into a tragedy. I am immensely proud of them.”
Police were called at 5.50pm last Friday, October 21 to reports of someone in the water.
Upon arrival, Safer Neighbourhoods officers Pc Russell Bailey and Pc Richard Tromans acted without hesitation when they saw a woman struggling in the icy water and immediately jumped in.
They swam to the 50-year-old woman and managed to keep her above the surface until the London Fire Brigade launched their boat from the London City Airport and pulled them all to safety.
You may also want to watch:
The London Ambulance Service took all three to Newham General Hospital where the woman was admitted for treatment. The officers were later discharged returning to work the next day.
Pc Bailey, 48, said: “When we arrived the woman had already been in the water for some minutes and kept disappearing under the surface of the water. Our priority was to keep her afloat until help arrived.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
On Monday, Septembe 26, Pc Robin Whatling, a response officer based at Stratford police station, acted without hesitation when he rescued a 58-year-old woman from the same dock. Both made a full recovery.