Plans lodged for new flats in Beckton
A housing complex containing 89 flats could soon be built on disused land in Beckton.
One Housing Group has submitted proposals to erect three buildings in Atlantis Avenue varying between five and 12 storeys in height.
The site, which borders the River Thames, is less than a mile away from the Gallions Reach retail park. It is currently unoccupied.
The plans also include proposals for 35 car parking spaces and cycle spaces.
In a statement submitted along with the application, architects Jestico and Whiles said they had taken on board Newham Council’s concerns.
You may also want to watch:
It read: “The northern block creates a landmark visible from both the river and the DLR station, while the central block has been reduced in scale, minimising overshadowing of the amenity space.
“The cut outs between the blocks have been widened as much as possible to allow views and daylight and sunlight penetration.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
The narrow nature of the site means there is no room for gardens or a courtyard but every flat will have its own balcony and terrace.
It is the company’s second application for the site in three years. A decision to reject its application for 120 homes was upheld by a planning inspector in 2010.
Newham Council will aim to make a decision on the application by the end of November.