Plans lodged for new flats in Beckton
A housing complex containing 89 flats could soon be built on disused land in Beckton.
One Housing Group has submitted proposals to erect three buildings in Atlantis Avenue varying between five and 12 storeys in height.
The site, which borders the River Thames, is less than a mile away from the Gallions Reach retail park. It is currently unoccupied.
The plans also include proposals for 35 car parking spaces and cycle spaces.
In a statement submitted along with the application, architects Jestico and Whiles said they had taken on board Newham Council’s concerns.
You may also want to watch:
It read: “The northern block creates a landmark visible from both the river and the DLR station, while the central block has been reduced in scale, minimising overshadowing of the amenity space.
“The cut outs between the blocks have been widened as much as possible to allow views and daylight and sunlight penetration.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
The narrow nature of the site means there is no room for gardens or a courtyard but every flat will have its own balcony and terrace.
It is the company’s second application for the site in three years. A decision to reject its application for 120 homes was upheld by a planning inspector in 2010.
Newham Council will aim to make a decision on the application by the end of November.