Plaistow teenager advertises himself on eBay to find work
- Credit: Archant
A Plaistow teenager, desperate to find work after sending off countless applications and attending numerous interviews, is now advertising now himself on eBay to find a job.
Michael Young, 19, made the desperate move after several years of searching for work. He has applied for as many as 25 jobs a week. In one week, he went for four interviews but was told he lacks experience.
Now he has posted his CV with a summary of his skills and abilities on eBay together with a photo of himself.
Michael, who lives in Swete Street, said: “This is unusual granted..but desperate times call for desperate measures!
I WANT to work, I’m committed, efficient, punctual, loyal, proficient in IT, grammar and speaking and listening skills..
You may also want to watch:
I have the all the traits that most companies are actually crying out for, but will anyone give me a chance? No.
So I’m trying to be inventive, using my initiative if you will, in the hope that a business opportunity will be offered to me through doing this.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
I’m not looking for a million pounds a year or a flash car but an opportunity to be able to pay my way in life and hold my head up high.
If you genuinely feel that you can offer me a position that please contact me the usual eBay way. This is a genuine advert, I’m not asking for money, I’m only interested in an opportunity.”
The former Brampton Manor School pupil also lists his GCSEs which include English, Business Studies, Art and Science.
His mother Serena Young said : “I have just discovered the apparently new and inventive extremes my 19 yr old son has gone to, to find himself employment..advertising himself on Ebay! Are these the types of measures that the young unemployed have to go to find themselves a job these days!”
Michael’s unusual approach has not brought him a flood of job offers. EBay, once it learned of his attempt, removed his advertisement from its website. Undeterred, Michael has reinstated it.