Plaistow teenager advertises himself on eBay to find work
- Credit: Archant
A Plaistow teenager, desperate to find work after sending off countless applications and attending numerous interviews, is now advertising now himself on eBay to find a job.
Michael Young, 19, made the desperate move after several years of searching for work. He has applied for as many as 25 jobs a week. In one week, he went for four interviews but was told he lacks experience.
Now he has posted his CV with a summary of his skills and abilities on eBay together with a photo of himself.
Michael, who lives in Swete Street, said: “This is unusual granted..but desperate times call for desperate measures!
I WANT to work, I’m committed, efficient, punctual, loyal, proficient in IT, grammar and speaking and listening skills..
You may also want to watch:
I have the all the traits that most companies are actually crying out for, but will anyone give me a chance? No.
So I’m trying to be inventive, using my initiative if you will, in the hope that a business opportunity will be offered to me through doing this.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
I’m not looking for a million pounds a year or a flash car but an opportunity to be able to pay my way in life and hold my head up high.
If you genuinely feel that you can offer me a position that please contact me the usual eBay way. This is a genuine advert, I’m not asking for money, I’m only interested in an opportunity.”
The former Brampton Manor School pupil also lists his GCSEs which include English, Business Studies, Art and Science.
His mother Serena Young said : “I have just discovered the apparently new and inventive extremes my 19 yr old son has gone to, to find himself employment..advertising himself on Ebay! Are these the types of measures that the young unemployed have to go to find themselves a job these days!”
Michael’s unusual approach has not brought him a flood of job offers. EBay, once it learned of his attempt, removed his advertisement from its website. Undeterred, Michael has reinstated it.