Plaistow’s Joyce celebrates 80th birthday with zumba class
- Credit: Archant
For most people, a birthday is an occasion to have a party and enoy a delicious cake. Most people, but then Joyce Belton is far from being like most people.
Joyce is so committed to sports that her dance group marked her 80th birthday with a special zumba session. Joyce, who lives in Plaistow has been a regular at SalsaPam Community Dance since it began in 2011 because she loves to dance.
Pamela Rene, founder of SalsaPam Community Dance, at the Queens Road Community Centre in Plaistow, said Joyce was an “absolute inspiration” to everyone at the group. She said Joyce had barely missed any of the two classes per week.
She said: “Joyce only misses a class if she has another engagement, like going out to the theatre; not because she is sick because she never is. Joyce is passionate about keeping active, and had lost five stone in weight prior to join our classes.
“She not only attends Zumba regularly, she is a member of Newham Striders, attends exercises classes at the local gyms, and attends weekly Line Dance classes.
You may also want to watch:
“Whenever we are invited to perform at local community events, Joyce is always there and is usually the last one standing and puts us all to shame. “
One of Joyce’s gifts included a photo plate with a picture her dancing at Zumba. After the dance session the group, which included councillor Forhad Hussain, enjoyed food and treats for the celebration.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences