Plaistow’s Curwen Primary School unveils new look after Olympic Games grant
Curwen Primary School has had a dramatic makeover, expanding the school and attracting some star guests.
Pupils were eager to start learning in their new building which was officially opened by Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and West Ham MP Lyn Brown.
They cut a ribbon in a recent ceremony to the cheers of pupils, staff and local councillors.
The newly refurbished building took three years to complete but now the children can learn in spacious classrooms, get fitter in a super sports hall and run around and have fun in their new playground.
You may also want to watch:
The school in Atlas Road has expanded. The work involved blocking off the old Key Stage Two area to allow builders to set up a site at the end of the playground.
They had to rip out the old walls and ceilings and demolish the Key Stage One area to rebuild it much like the Key Stage Two area, which was also rebuilt.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 10 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
The school has been updating the pupils and parents on developments in the construction of the new school by writing regularly about the progress on the school’s very own website.
Technologically savvy teachers have also been updating the building blog, complete with pictures of the ongoing work.
Curwen pupils also had something else to cheer about as they were one of 42 schools, along with Cumberland, also Plaistow, that received grants from the Department of Education in an Olympic scheme called Plan Your 2012 as part of the Get Set network.
To view the building blog, photos and to find out more about the development of the school, visit www.curwen.newham.sch.uk/buildingblogintro.