Plaistow’s Curwen Primary School unveils new look after Olympic Games grant
Curwen Primary School has had a dramatic makeover, expanding the school and attracting some star guests.
Pupils were eager to start learning in their new building which was officially opened by Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and West Ham MP Lyn Brown.
They cut a ribbon in a recent ceremony to the cheers of pupils, staff and local councillors.
The newly refurbished building took three years to complete but now the children can learn in spacious classrooms, get fitter in a super sports hall and run around and have fun in their new playground.
You may also want to watch:
The school in Atlas Road has expanded. The work involved blocking off the old Key Stage Two area to allow builders to set up a site at the end of the playground.
They had to rip out the old walls and ceilings and demolish the Key Stage One area to rebuild it much like the Key Stage Two area, which was also rebuilt.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 5 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
The school has been updating the pupils and parents on developments in the construction of the new school by writing regularly about the progress on the school’s very own website.
Technologically savvy teachers have also been updating the building blog, complete with pictures of the ongoing work.
Curwen pupils also had something else to cheer about as they were one of 42 schools, along with Cumberland, also Plaistow, that received grants from the Department of Education in an Olympic scheme called Plan Your 2012 as part of the Get Set network.
To view the building blog, photos and to find out more about the development of the school, visit www.curwen.newham.sch.uk/buildingblogintro.