Plaistow’s biggest royal fan celebrates Queen’s 90th in style
- Credit: Archant
The home of the borough’s most dedicated royalist isn’t hard to spot.
Maybe it’s the newspaper pullout on the “dawn of the Elizabeth age” adorning the front window, or the Union Jack flags and happy birthday sign that give away the monarchist sympathies of its occupant.
But despite a collection of memorabilia larger than the extended royal family, lifelong fan Lil Forkner of Liddon Road, Plaistow, is planning a low key celebration to celebrate Her Majesty’s 90th birthday.
“I would like a few people to come round and just have a quick snack,” the 77-year-old said. “It will just be a few friends and neighbours. If it’s nice we will be out in the garden having cakes and something to drink.”
While the celebration might be low key, the strength of Lil’s support for all things royal is evident in her front room which is a shrine to a lifetime of collecting anything and everything royal.
You may also want to watch:
Commemorative plates, posters, photographs and calendars adorn the walls. And packed into a sideboard are stacks of magazines nestling alongside books of clippings.
The highlight is perhaps her Union Jack phone which Lil got eight years ago. “I enjoy collecting,” she said. “I have got
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 7 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 8 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
plates and cups and mugs, everything.”
While Lil is a supporter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, currently wowing the crowds in India, nobody can replace Her Majesty The Queen as her favourite royal.
“I like the Queen and the way she acts,” said Lil. “I like the way she talks to people. I think she is very polite.”
The only thing Lil’s collection needs is a chance to meet Queen and take a picture. Because, despite her sizeable collection of Queen-related products she
has yet to meet her idol in the flesh.
“I would like to meet her,” Lil said. “If I got to meet her I’d like to shake hands with her and give her a friendly smile.”