Plaistow rapper has three MOBO nominations
- Credit: Archant
A grime artist who has yet to sign with a major record label has been nominated for no less than three major awards in this year’s MOBOs.
Justin Reginald Clarke Samuel, better known as Ghetts, is in the running for best album, best male and best grime act at the prestigious awards ceremony which is being held next Wednesday.
The 30-year-old, who comes from Plaistow, has been nominated alongside household names including Tinie Tempah, Sam Smith, Katy B and Fuse ODG.
Ghetts, who is known for his hard hitting lyrics, has already come to the attention of US star Chris Brown who recently tweeted about his music, sharing a link to the video for track Feel Inside.
Although Ghetts only released his debut studio album, Rebel With a Cause, in March this year, he has already had a taste of success, racking up a number 23 in the album charts.
The rapper discovered a passion for music at an early age, when at 14 he visited a day time rave in Leyton to see the Heartless Crew. The experience fixed his ambition to make it in the music world.
Since then, his music has been played on national radio stations including BBC Radio 1, with his album attracting praise from critics.
- 1 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 2 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 3 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 4 West Ham will add more after Cornet signing says Moyes
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 7 Clapton microbakery Charles Artisan Bread opens new site in Stratford
- 8 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 9 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
- 10 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
Ghetts said: “I love grime and it’s in my roots.
“It has been from when I saw Heartless all them years ago.
“A lot of people ain’t comfortable with that but I’m telling you from now that I’m gonna be a grime star.”
To vote for Ghetts, visit mobo.com/voting