Plaistow rapper has three MOBO nominations
- Credit: Archant
A grime artist who has yet to sign with a major record label has been nominated for no less than three major awards in this year’s MOBOs.
Justin Reginald Clarke Samuel, better known as Ghetts, is in the running for best album, best male and best grime act at the prestigious awards ceremony which is being held next Wednesday.
The 30-year-old, who comes from Plaistow, has been nominated alongside household names including Tinie Tempah, Sam Smith, Katy B and Fuse ODG.
Ghetts, who is known for his hard hitting lyrics, has already come to the attention of US star Chris Brown who recently tweeted about his music, sharing a link to the video for track Feel Inside.
Although Ghetts only released his debut studio album, Rebel With a Cause, in March this year, he has already had a taste of success, racking up a number 23 in the album charts.
You may also want to watch:
The rapper discovered a passion for music at an early age, when at 14 he visited a day time rave in Leyton to see the Heartless Crew. The experience fixed his ambition to make it in the music world.
Since then, his music has been played on national radio stations including BBC Radio 1, with his album attracting praise from critics.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 8 Blind protester jailed for plane stunt at London City Aiport
- 9 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 10 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
Ghetts said: “I love grime and it’s in my roots.
“It has been from when I saw Heartless all them years ago.
“A lot of people ain’t comfortable with that but I’m telling you from now that I’m gonna be a grime star.”
To vote for Ghetts, visit mobo.com/voting