Plaistow pupils organise sponsored walk for hospice
- Credit: Tom Morton
The youngsters will be walking from the Lawson Close school to Richard House Children’s Hospice, stopping at landmarks along the way.
Education support worker Charlotte Smith said that students were encouraged to organise an event to give back to the community.
She said: One of our Year 11 students, Mathew Adelana, was extremely touched when visiting the school’s local charity link, Richard House, during a Christmas Present donation event in December 2014.
“He decided to lead the organising of a sponsored walk around key landmarks and organisations within the community in order to raise money for the hospice.”
Rachel Green, community and events fundraiser at Richard Hous, added: “This event is a great way of teaching students the importance of engaging with their community and helping others, while raising vital funds for Richard House.
You may also want to watch:
“Support from local schools like Eleanor Smith goes a long way towards helping us to continue to help life-limited children and their families.”
The pupils will take part in the walk on Thursday, July 16.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 8 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?