Plaistow man to run two marathons in father’s memory
- Credit: Archant
A young man who watched his father die from cancer is planning to run two marathons to raise money for research into the disease.
Darren Coleman, 24, is planning to do two marathons in seven days in April. The first will be in Brighton on April 14 and second will be in London in the annual Virgin London Marathon 2013 on April 21.
Darren, who lives in Holborn Road, Plaistow, said: “The main reason for me doing the two marathons in seven days for Macmillan Cancer research is because throughout my father’s brave battle Macmillan cancer were there every step of the way for my dad and all the family.
“I wanted to give something back and Macmillan are a great charity. It needs financial support so whatever I can raise will be a great achievement. I hope to make my dad and Macmillan very proud.”
His father, Anthony Coleman died on October 10 last year. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in August 2011. Darren said: “After a brave battle the illness finally got the better of his body. He had chemotherapy treatment and tablets and I cared for my father every step of the way.”
You may also want to watch:
Darren began training shortly after his father’s death. He has been running six days a week and training regularly at Peacocks Gym in Canning Town, so much so that he has lost more than a stone in weight.
You can sponsor him at www.justgivining.com/Darren-Coleman88
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League