Plaistow man spooked by mystery creature in Tesco grapes
- Credit: Archant
A man was left shocked and confused as he opened a carton of supermarket grapes and found a strange insect inside.
John Paulose, 42, bought several packs of the seedless black fruit online from Tesco and was eager to tuck in – until he got a nasty surprise.
“I picked up some grapes and that weird thing fell out – I just thought, ‘what the heck is that?’ and freaked out a bit,” the Plaistow procurement manager said.
“It was so big and strange. I poked it with a knife to make sure it was dead – I thought it could be foreign and dangerous.
“I was definitely glad it was dead.”
You may also want to watch:
John was surprised to find the creepy-crawly in his grapes because he had read the Recorder’s story last week about an arachnophobe who found spiders in the same product.
“It concerns me that it seems to happen so frequently,” he said. “I’ll think twice before buying grapes from Tesco again – they really need to look into it.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
A spokesperson for Tesco said: “We sell over a million bunches of grapes every week and our growers work hard to clean and inspect all the fruit carefully. However, as the produce is so fresh instances like this do happen on very rare occasions. We’ve apologised to [Mr Paulose] and have offered him a gesture of goodwill.”