Plaistow man’s boxing match for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A young man will be taking part in his first boxing match to raise money for cancer research in his father’s memory.
Darren Coleman, 25, from Holborn Road, Plaistow has already taken part in a variety of events to raise money for cancer charity Macmillan Cancer following the death of his father Anthony from lung cancer on October 10 last year.
He was so impressed by the care his father received from Macmillan that he has a dedicated a large part of his life since then to raising cash for its work.
Now, Darren, a carpenter, will be taking part in a charity boxing match in Elephant and Castle on October 11. He also plans to run the New York marathon on November 3 and the Paris marathon on April 6 next year. He will be accompanied by his brother Paul Fairbrass, 32.
Although Darren has raised £8,000 for the cancer charity in the last year, he is hoping that figure will soon reach £20,000.
You may also want to watch:
He is appealing for people and businesses to help him reach his goal.
Darren said: “I have been training six days a week with Paul Kavanagh from Elite Commando Fitness and Mark Tibbs from Trad TKO boxing gym in Canning Town in preparation for my first charity fight and big marathon in New York.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
“It is tiring and draining but I’m doing it all fro my Dad and because of the work that Macmillan do.”
You can sponsor him at www.justgivining.com/Darren-Coleman88