Plaistow house fire: Discarded cigarette blamed

A discarded cigarette in a garden shed is thought to have caused a blaze which spread to a house and adjacent property, leaving both damaged.

Around 20 firefighters tackled the fire on Routemaster Close in Plaistow on Monday evening.

The shed was destroyed and the blaze damaged a small part of the ground and first floors and roof of the house, as well as a small part of the roof of the house next door.

Firefighters were called at around 8.50. The Brigade was called at 2052 and the fire was under control by 2206.

“The fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette,” said a Fire Brigade statement.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter