Plaistow college student’s aerospace dreams
- Credit: Matt Cetti-Roberts
A student who juggled part-time work and housing problems is closer to his dreams of becoming an aerospace engineer with his exam results.
Yusuf Naing, 19, completed his BTEC in Mechanical Engineering level 3 at Newham Sixth Form College, NewVIc, with two Distinctions with stars and another Distinction. He also has a grade B in A-level Maths.
Yusuf, who lives in Haringey, gained his qualifications while working part-time and was also forced to leave his family home.
He worked as a chef to pay for his education at the Prince Regent Lane college in Plaistow. NewVIc was his second chance at getting qualifications after his first unsuccessful attempt at Epping College where he had to drop out.
He said: “I would go to college then come back and work from, say 3pm until 9pm or even 11pm because I needed to earn the money. Sometimes at weekends I would work 12 hours because I needed to pay bills and for food.
“When I was at college, I didn’t waste my time, even at lunchtimes I was working in the library or the computer and did not miss my deadlines, or if I was going to miss a deadlines I always told my teacher.
“I want to study aerospace engineering because ever since I was little I wanted to work with aeroplanes. That was my dream.”
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Important' to get back to winning ways for West Ham says Lanzini
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 West Ham showed great character and resilience to beat Chelsea says Moyes
- 7 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 8 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped