Plaistow church to open for charity bike event
Plaistow Memorial Church will be opening specially on Saturday, September 13 to take part in a national charity event called Ride+Stride.
Church supporters will be sponsored to jump on their bikes or put on their walking boots and visit as many churches as possible on the day.
Half of the funds they raise will go to their local church. The other half will go to the Friends of Essex Churches Trust which makes grants to East London and Essex churches in need of repairs and restoration work.
They will take part in a “Local Heroes” walking tour at 2pm to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War. The tour will start with the church bells, and then go to some of the places where the men they commemorate lived, sharing the stories of them and their families in a dramatic way. They will go back to the church by 3pm for tea and cake.
Ride+Stride is open to everyone. To find out how to take part locally and download a sponsorship form visit foect.org.uk/rideandstride.
You may also want to watch:
Ride+Stride is a sponsored bike ride or walk discovering England’s heritage of churches, chapels and meeting houses. Last year it raised more than £85,000 for the repair and upkeep of churches and chapels of all denominations in East London and Essex.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 9 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 10 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic