Plaistow church bells get a new ring tone
PUBLISHED: 12:00 28 August 2011 | UPDATED: 17:16 28 August 2011
Historic bells honouring First World War heroes are being restored to their former glory in a £250,000 Plaistow church project.
The 10 bells in the east tower of Memorial Community Church have been cleaned and painted and rehung as part of the National Lottery funded scheme.
Philippa King, development manager of the church in Barking Road, said: “It’s been a slow process.
“The bells have been cleaned by hand but it makes an amazing difference.
“They were really dirty and rusty.
“They should be a lot easier to ring after the work is completed.”
The work, which was scheduled for completion this month, is being undertaken by Gillett & Johnston in Croydon, the original maker of the bells in 1925.
The £49,000 project is being carried out in tandem with the £194,000 restoration of the Memorial Church’s east tower, which is on target to be finished by the end of October.
Work also includes repairs to the belfry staircase and the fitting of a new handrail.
People not able to climb the tower will be able to see the bells in a virtual tour available at the church.
An opening ceremony, attended by members of the British Legion and relatives of the fallen 169 servicemen from Plaistow and Canning Town featured on the bells, will be held at the church at November 19 at 11am.
Anyone who thinks they know of a relative whose name might be on the bells, or would like more information, is invited to call Philippa at the church office (020) 7474 6603 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.