Pictures: Tom Daley misses out on medal in Diving World Series at London Aquatics Centre
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Britain’s Tom Daley could not recreate his Olympic heroics as he failed to medal in the men’s 10 metre platform final at the FINA Diving World Series, held at the London Aquatic Centre.
Now Daley’s training base, Sunday’s semi-final and final presented the 19-year-old with his first competitive action at the venue since he took bronze at the London 2012 Olympics.
But a total score of 525.45 was only good enough for fifth place in a fiercely contested and high-scoring final.
Having achieved the third-highest total in qualifying for the final, Daley produced good scores for five out of his six dives, although he was the only finalist not to score 100 or more for an individual effort.
It was his second dive, a back two-and-a-half somersault with a two-and-a-half twist, that once again proved problematic.
His lowest semi-final score had come from the same dive and Daley could not improve on that in the evening, scoring just 61.20 for the effort - a score that effectively ended his chances of finishing in the medals.
The gold went to China’s dominant Yang Jian, who had qualified with ease before leading every step of the final and setting a new world-record in the process, with his compatriot Chen Aisen in silver and Ukraine’s Oleksandr Bondar taking bronze.,
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
There was also to be no British medal in the women’s 10 metre platform event as Tonia Couch came last.
Having taken synchronised silver on Friday, Couch could not add individual success as London 2012 gold medallist Chen Ruolin of China repeated her success.
Canada’s Meaghan Benfeito taking silver and bronze going to Pandelela Rinong of Malaysia with Ruolin’s victory meaning China have won all 12 women’s events of the 2014 World Series to date.
For more news from Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park check out our Parklife section in print and online.