Pictures: Spectacular fireworks display wows thousands in Forest Gate
- Credit: Andrew Baker and Paul Boylin
Thousands turned out to enjoy a night of spectacular fireworks on Saturday.
The free Guy Fawkes Night display, courtesy of Newham Council, saw a capacity crowd 25,000 people take to main site on Centre Road, Wanstead Flats, Forest Gate, and an estimated 8,000 line nearby streets.
Heads raised to the sky, they were treated to a 20-minute display accompanied by a soundtrack from music legends including David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra and Whitney Houston. Spectators could also pick up an array of food.
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales watched the display with residents. “It’s always terrific to see so many families enjoying themselves at our free events,” he said.
“Our annual fireworks display is always a great show. The turn-out again has been terrific with everyone enjoying themselves in a safe and friendly environment.”
You may also want to watch:
The show went ahead despite a national firefighters’ strike by members of the Fire Brigades’ Union over the weekend that saw a contingency service take over duties.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found