Pictures of Canning Town fire wreckage
Six crews from east London battled the blaze
This is the aftermath of a major fire which ripped through a range of storage units in Canning Town last night.
Ten fire engines and around 50 firefighters were called to the building on Tidal Basin Road, off Silvertown Way, at 6.41pm and around half of the units, believed to be derelict, were damaged in the fire.
Recorder Photographer Steve Poston captured the scene this morning.
Station Manager Peter Critchell said: “The pitch black conditions and lay out of the buildings made this a challenging incident for our crews but they have worked extremely hard to bring this fire under control.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Silvertown, Poplar, Plaistow, Stratford, Bow and Barking stations brought the blaze under control just before 11pm.
Firefighters say the storage units were mostly empty and no one was injured in the incident.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Tidal Basin Road in Canning Town is still closed in both directions between the A1020 Silvertown Way junction and the A1020 Silvertown Way junction.