Pictures of Canning Town fire wreckage
Six crews from east London battled the blaze
This is the aftermath of a major fire which ripped through a range of storage units in Canning Town last night.
Ten fire engines and around 50 firefighters were called to the building on Tidal Basin Road, off Silvertown Way, at 6.41pm and around half of the units, believed to be derelict, were damaged in the fire.
Recorder Photographer Steve Poston captured the scene this morning.
Station Manager Peter Critchell said: “The pitch black conditions and lay out of the buildings made this a challenging incident for our crews but they have worked extremely hard to bring this fire under control.”
Crews from Silvertown, Poplar, Plaistow, Stratford, Bow and Barking stations brought the blaze under control just before 11pm.
Firefighters say the storage units were mostly empty and no one was injured in the incident.
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 7 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
- 10 Masked driver found guilty of Ilford murder jailed for 35 years
Tidal Basin Road in Canning Town is still closed in both directions between the A1020 Silvertown Way junction and the A1020 Silvertown Way junction.