Pictures: Nappy New Year! Newham’s first 2014 babies
- Credit: Archant
For these families, the new year was welcomed with a special delivery at Newham University Hospital.
Loreta Kalinauskiene gave birth to a son, Dovydas, who weighed 7lb 9 (3.6kg).
He will be well looked after by his big brother, seven-year-old Modestas, at home in Upton Park.
Another family who welcomed a second child was Badrun Nessa and Muhammed Atik Miah.
Their (3.28kg) daughter was born at 7.13pm, a sister for Muhammad Tarik Jamil.
You may also want to watch:
Baby Albert was due to be born to Ana Maria Dogaru on December 27, but clung on to become one of the first babies of 2014, weighing 8lb 3 (3.75kg)
She and husband Daniel have an older son David, who is 23 months old, and brought him to the hospital to meet his baby brother.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
Another baby who held on to be born in 2014 was Nathanael Channer.
He was due on December 18, but mum Chantelle eventually gave birth to her 8lb 13 (3.7kg) son at 5.09pm.
Not every baby was born late; some couldn’t wait to arrive.
Charlie Lee, of Canning Town, gave birth to 5lb 7 (2.8kg) son James five days early.
Esther Libenge’s daughter Grace Likolo was due on January 3 but arrived at 5.52pm, weiging 7lb 1 (3.2kg).
Ashvin and Nisha Varsani welcomed a son, weighing 6lb (2.7kg).
Stratford couple Ahad and Khatija Mughal’s baby boy was one of the last to be born, waiting until 10.30pm to arrive weighing 8lb (3.65kg).
In total, 21 babies were born at the hospital on January 1.
Click on our gallery to see more baby pictures.