PICTURES: Large fire near Blackwall Tunnel causes traffic delays
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 firefighters are tackling a blaze near the Blackwall Tunnel.
One man has been rescued from the fire, which is affecting the ground and first floor of a nightclub, as well as an entire industrial warehouse, and a scrap paper processing yard with several outbuildings and 40 pallets of paper.
London Fire Brigade said a safety cordon has been set up “as some gas cylinders are involved in the fire”.
A Brigade spokesperson said: “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a man who has been taken to hospital by ambulance. This is a large fire and the smoke could be seen from across London, meaning we received a large number of emergency calls. Firefighters will be at the scene for the rest of the day, and possibly into the evening.”
The brigade received the first of over 50 emergency calls at 11.43am.
You may also want to watch:
London Ambulance Service are on the scene, along with 15 fire engines from East Greenwich, Greenwich, Plumstead, Eltham, Deptford, Lewisham, Poplar, Whitechapel, and Bethnal Green stations.
The fire on Tunnel Avenue has closed Millenium Way and Brood Street, leading to slow-moving traffic on the Southern Approach, and the 108 bus has been diverted.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
There are tailbacks to the Tredegar Road on the northern side of the river, and the A102 is slow moving southbound due to onlookers.
This page will be updated as the situation develops.