Pictures: Heroes and villains turn out at Newham’s ExCel for London comic convention
- Credit: Archant
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s someone dressed up as Superman.
The London Super Comic Convention saw hundreds of comic book fans turn out on the weekend, many costumed as their favourite heroes — or villains — having spent months preparing their look.
The event, held at Newham’s ExCel centre, included an appearance from television talk-show host Jonathan Ross who was on hand to sign copies of his latest comic mini-series with artist Ian Churchill, Revenge.
Cosplay (short for costume play) group owner Adam Leishman, who was dressed head-to-toe as notorious lawman Judge Dredd, said: “It’s a chance to put on your favourite costume and just walk around and see the faces of kids and adults.
“I remember reading 2000AD when it first came out — I must have been about 12 or 13. When Judge Dredd was introduced he was instantly one of my favourite characters.”
He added it had taken him a year to make his costume, which cost just under £1,000, and that his group, Iconic Legion, had raised £25,000 for charities including Dogs Trust since its creation more than two years ago.
Graham Ford, dressed as comic-book strip favourite Captain America, said his favourite part of dressing up was having fun.
- 1 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 3 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 4 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 5 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 6 Donor appeal as East Ham man needs second kidney transplant
- 7 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 8 West Ham boss Moyes disappointed by Leeds defeat
- 9 Tributes to 'much-loved' Stratford theatre worker Harvey Parker
- 10 Flat above garage damaged in Manor Park fire
“It’s just fun, having a laugh and seeing the other guys dressed up,” he said.
• Click on the link below to see a gallery of pictures from the convention