PICTURES: Duke of York visits Tollgate Primary
- Credit: Archant
The Duke of York officially opened the new £250,000 teacher training room at Tollgate Primary School this morning.
Prince Andrew was greeted by flags and bunting as hundreds of pupils from Tollgate and nearby Cleves Primary lined the playground.
He was met by the Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London, Sir David Brewer, while a musical welcome was provided by Jim McLucas, the deputy head of Cleves Primary who is personal piper to the Earl of Wessex.
During his visit, Prince Andrew unveiled a plaque marking the occasion watched by five pupils from each of six schools in the Tollgate Teaching School Alliance.
He also gave a speech about the importance of inspiration and aspiration.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils performed songs which they had written and composed before presenting the prince with a CD containing recordings of their music, after finding out that his birthday is next week.
Tom Canning, headteacher of Tollgate, said the Prince’s appearance is a momentous one as he is the school’s first Royal visitor in its 80-year history,
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
“It will leave everyone with a memory that will be with them for the rest of their lives,” he said. “Prince Andrew said that he will not forget us and he was impressed with what he saw so we are absolutely thrilled.
“When he left he building, word had got round and the whole of Plaistow seemed to be out on the streets with their iPads and cameras.”
Tollgate’s new training room was built in the summer holidays to increase provision at the teaching school.
Mr Canning said: “The new extension will further our future development because we will be able to coach groups of 40 teachers in one room.”
For more pictures click on the picture gallery on the right.